SV: [ROVERNET - UK] P6 Rear brakes- a slightly crazy idea.

jan.tillberg at sqc.se jan.tillberg at sqc.se
Tue Feb 26 14:16:01 GMT 2008

Hi all!

Every car is constructed around some part - vital or not. The Volvo 140, 240 and so on are constructed around the wiper unit, the Ford Granada/Consul mk 2 around the heater unit, the BMW 3.0 (Baader Meinhof wagen) around the spark plugs. And then we have the ingenious Rover p6 rear brake solution. I don't think one is much helped with a hatch. The brakes are note much more accessible from above. I usually undo the driveshafts (applýing handbrake and first gear). Then I unscrew the ½" AF bolts holding the outer pads. After the outer pads are out it's easy to remove the discs (why not take a side grinder to remove the rusty rim while you at it). Now the inner pads and the piston are accessible. The diff end is attached by three bolts at the rear and is easy to lower if wanted, don't forget that the brakehose is attached to the base unit in one end.

I've been driving and  maintaining (not as often as I should though) Rover P6 since the early 1980's. Other cars frequently need new or renovated calipers, discs, hoses and brakelining (especially Volvo 240). Most of my Rovers have had original brake parts. The worst thing for them is not to be driven. At the MOT some years ago, 2004 I think, the guy testing the car remarked on my 1968 Rover brake hose - it looked old so I would have to replace it. Then the manager -or what it's called - said it was OK meaning they last long. Now after some 30 or 40 years it could be time to replace them. It's only that the quality of modern rubber hoses isn't as good as on the better old ones.

By the way I now driving the V8 -73 P6 with the EFI system. It runs good occasionally, giving som 10 miles per gallon (imp). So I also drive my mothers -75 2200TC giving some 22 mpg. The -88 Volvo 740 doesn't drive at all due to some ignition failure.

About the "why make it simple, when you can complicate it" I recall what Road and Track wrote in 1966 or so, when they tested the 2000 TC. Some people mean that the 2000 is too complex, but that it runs so well might have something to do with just that.

Try to brake hard with an eldery car in midcorner or driving it at 100 mph over a serious bump.

Cheers

Jan