[ROVERNET - UK] RE: Final Drive Issues

Glen Wilson rovercar at comcast.net
Wed Feb 20 20:16:42 GMT 2008

Adrian McDonald wrote:
> I should have said that I "inter"calibrated by tacho with a multimeter. I set the engine rpm at 1000, 2000, and 3000rpm on the tacho and read what the digital multimeter displayed

Are you saying you used a DMM that counted pulses or frequency? Or are
you referring to an automotive DMM reading independently from the
ignition system? I may be missing a detail or two from the discussion,
but it might be a good idea to take a step back if you are approaching
this problem from an electrical engineer's perspective. Check the engine
rpm with some sort of simple automotive rpm counter based on readings
from the engine coil and see what that reads. It's entirely possible
that a counting DMM may give you inaccurate readings at the dash
tachometer, especially if the dash tach functions more on the basis of
current pulses than on voltage pulses.

Remember, a $20 automotive tune-up meter from Pep Boys is probably much
more of a precision instrument than the tach in your car with all the
hysteresis and needle bounce. Verify the actual engine rpm measured
independently at the engine and then revisit the differential question.
You can also just go out on the interstate and check the
odometer/speedometer by watching the green mile markers by the side of
the highway and running ten miles. You can even time it to check your
speed. This will tell you if your tiresize/rearendratio/speedometer are
giving reasonably accurate readings.

Glen