[ROVERNET - UK] 3500s water pump rebuilds

Gavin.Walker at csiro.au Gavin.Walker at csiro.au
Wed Apr 16 00:59:02 BST 2008

Hi Everybody,
  Picking up this thread.  I ordered a couple of Buick pumps (TRW
FP1448/GMB 130-1070/Airtex AW1018) from the US.  There are some minor
differences between them and the Rover SD1 pump.

Trivial one:
The small inlet branch which connects to the pipe under the manifold is
a little longer.

Slightly more annoying:
Two of the timing cover bolt positions have a thinner casting requiring
slightly shorter bolts.  Not hard, new bolts cost me $1.50 each.

I'm having more trouble getting a pulling that matches.  The platform
height is not too far from the one where the SD1 pulley mounts.  This
means a pulley needs a similar offset.  So far all the Ford pulleys have
deep offsets.  Going to check out the holden ones this afternoon.

With the viscous coupling off the SD1 pump I noticed a little hole in
shaft.  Looks like it's there to let the air out when the SD1 nose is
pushed on the pump shaft.  I'm speculating I might be able to remove the
nose an fit it to the Buick pump.  Anyone tried doing this?

Gavin Walker
--
Experimental Scientist
Information Engineering Laboratory

Post: GPO Box 664, Canberra, ACT, 2601, Australia
Office: Building 108, North Road, ANU Campus, Acton, ACT, 2601
T: +61 2 6216 7030, F: +61 2 216 7111, M: 0422 505 258
www.ict.csiro.au