[ROVERNET - UK] P6 Design & Rear Suspension Function

Netspace vmitps at netspace.net.au
Tue Apr 8 09:19:07 BST 2008

> Isn't once enough? Would your design choice be an engine that necessitates
> the removal of the cylinder head (often more than once according to
> posters on this list) in order to adjust the valve clearances? And, of
> course, Rover manufactured a special jig for that, too. Who wants an
> engine where a wrench, a screwdriver, and a set of feeler gauges is all
> you need to do the job? No fun in that. Then there's the cost of the
> cylinder head gasket.
>
> The 4-cyl valve clearance snafu speaks volumes to what sort of priorities
> Rover had.

You don't need to remove the head nor disturb the gasket.
Vern's point is (quite correctly) that once is enough for many miles.
It is the same system as a Jag engine, and is used on many motorbikes now
since it hardly wears.
However I agree they are hard to service for regular stuff.  They just did
not think about it.