[ROVERNET - UK] Restoration, re-shell, or clone?

Chris J Wilson chris at chris-wilson.org
Wed Apr 2 00:20:05 BST 2008

I would tend to agree with the other opinions and call it a clone. As far as
I'm aware, there is only one real RHD NADA car, and that's the one currently
in my garage. It has a NADA VIN and was built by Rover as a RHD car.

For cars that have been re-shelled, I believe that it could be classed as a
restoration, depending on how much of the original car has been used. Many
purists tend to say that re-shelling a car cannot be classed as rebuilding
that car and therefore it is not the same one, yet many of these people will
also spend countless years replacing 90% of the metal in their restoration
project and still class that as being the original car.

When I restore OXC140H, the RHD NADA car, I'm going to use a replacement
chassis. I have no choice, as it's rotten to the core. However, I will be
using all of the original running gear, the engine and everything being fine
and only showing 30,000 miles. Most of the interior will be used, but with
new carpets, and about half of the panels are repairable. I'm not going to
do a full restoration and bring it up to showroom class, but rather put the
car back on the road, keeping it as original as possible.

~Chris

Message: 2