[ROVERNET - UK] BW 35 shifts like a tr8uck

Aidrian Bridgeman-Sutton smokeandsteam at gmail.com
Sat Sep 22 03:37:34 BST 2007

Lance

I'm not sure how clunky your clunks really are, but the BW35 was
always a bit of primitive pice of ironmongery. It never shifted like
any contemporary GM box did and there's no comparison with a modern
tranny

The clunk on the downshift into 1st was always there  - I have been
told that it's possible to fine tune it so it almost disappears but
never completely. I've alway accepted a slight clunk on the 2:1 shift
as one of the idiosyncracies of the car rather than chasing cable
adjustments backwards and forwards

Assuming you have your idle set correctly, clunks on engaging gear
could be  due to a poorly adjusted kickdown cable - this could also be
a possible cause of rough upshifting when in D.

Do you have the proper kickdown cable for the gearbox you have? IIRC
there were a couple of diifferent lengths used over the years
What speeds do you register when the boxshifts under different
accelerator postisions?
What happens when you shift 1 2 3 and back manually? Do you get a
response stright away or is there a delay?

If you're sure of the cable and linkage adjustment then it sounds like
an internal problem with the box - the bands might need adjusting

Aidrian