[ROVERNET - UK] 3500S intermittent power loss

Kent Kinard kkinard at wcc.net
Tue Sep 18 01:26:08 BST 2007

Yes, it does sound like a fuel starvation problem.  These
thoughts are off the top of my head.
1)I think the fuel pump has an internal filter.  It's been
a while since I worked on mine.
2)I do remember the nightmare with the pickup screen that
is part of the in-tank sending unit and reserve fuel
petcock arrangement.  Draining the tank and checking this
is a very messy job.  Perhaps save that chore for last if
nothing else helps.
3)Check the evaporative emissions and condensate
arrangement, as a plugged evap line can give these
symptoms.  If you drive a while and experience the
problem, try opening the gas cap and see if you get a
sucking sound that would indicate high vacuum in the gas
tank.  Alternatively, drive with the gas cap open and see
if the problem persists.  I think I would try this first,
since it's easiest.  It's really hard for the pump to draw
fuel against a vacuum.

Roverly,
Kent K.