[ROVERNET - UK] Re: rovernet Digest, Vol 58, Issue 17

Kent Kinard kkinard at wcc.net
Mon Sep 17 01:46:15 BST 2007

Hi Dave,
No, the 2.5 as used in the TR5, TR250,TR6 and 2.5 saloons was a Triumph
design and is the direct descendant of the Standard 8, Standard 10,
Herald, Spitfire,Vangard 6 (but not the four), Vitesse 6, GT6 and
Triumph 2000 saloon.  Rover built a six based on the P6 four cylinder
for the P7, but production of the P7 base unit would have required
substantial retooling, hence the development of the straight five. At
least one P7 prototype still exists.  The later 2300 and 2600 SD1
engines were also Triumph designs.  Really quite a nice engine, but had
top end oiling problems and was underdeveloped.  It shared no parts with
the 2.5 but did share some architecture with the Dolomite Sprint version
of the Dolomite/TR7/Saab four.  Wish I had a 2600 as I doubt there are
any in North America.  There are cures for the top end oiling problem
and the 2600 SD1's would stay with the V8's until very near the top
end.  Prototypes had to be de-tuned to keep them from being faster than
the V8's and, of course, the V8's used taller gears.  I spent some time
in a very nice 2600 automatic in 1996 and was very impressed.

Roverly,
Kent K.