[ROVERNET - UK] Safely reparing sunken carb floats 2000TC

Nathan Obuch nathanobuch at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 10 03:55:35 BST 2007

Greetings, rovernetters:

My p6 2000 TC with HS6 carbs has been suffering from
overflowing float chambers. I replaced the needle
valves (BTW, the MG MGC ones seem like a perfect
match) and then discovered that both of my brass
floats have sunk! They have small fatigue cracks up
the sides. No idea how that happened unless I
man-handled them last time I had the carbs apart?
    Anyway, I was thinking of letting the gasoline
evaporate out of the floats, then soldering the cracks
up, but I am hesitant to do so for safety reasons...
i.e. soldering where there might be gasoline vapors.
Any tips? I seem to recall someone mentioning doing
this before...

Thanks in advance,
    NAthan