[ROVERNET - UK] BW35 transmission adjustments?

peter king peter at king-co.com
Fri Sep 7 15:53:14 BST 2007

Hi all.

It's been a quiet summer for my Rovers, but I'm finally getting back
to pay attention to some kinks that need to be worked out.

First in line is my 3500s transmission, which decided one day not to
go into reverse. Actually, it began acting up a week earlier, by not
wanting to shift from first to second. Reverse was fine. Then after
sitting a week, it will not go into reverse. The wheels do spin if
lifted off the ground, but not with weight on them. I've spoken to a
local tranny guy, and he suggests external adjustment first, then
possibly replace reverse band. Also suggests drilling a small hole in
the reverse band to relieve fluid pressure build-up that causes the
band to move forward and engage slightly when in forward drive,
causing premature wear.

Does any of this sound familiar to you? Do you have any other
suggestions before removing the tranny?

Many thanks,

Peter

peter king + company