[ROVERNET - UK] Balancing carbs

Slatskars slatskars at comcast.net
Mon Oct 1 20:53:15 BST 2007

I will have to agree with both Rodger and Steven regarding adjusting your
carbs, but if you do not have the colortune or unisyn, there is an older
method that works. First as Steven suggested, ensure that the ignition
components are properly functioning and adjusted. Also check that the level
of oil in the dash posts is correct. Reduce the idle as much as possible,
disconnect the linkage between the carbs so that they function
independently. Follow the book in adjusting the idle mixture by using the
button below to raise the piston. Idle speed should increase momentarily and
then fall off. If too rich they will keep increasing, if the die off, too
lean. When these are adjusted properly, take a short section of small hose
or tubing, insert about 1/4 inch into the carb throat of first one and then
the other. Adjust until the flow of air into the carbs sound the same,
retighten the linkage and enjoy. This is how we did it before unisyns were
available, back in the dim dark ages. It does work!

Slats