R: [ROVERNET - UK] British Leyland and SD1

Slatskars slatskars at comcast.net
Wed Nov 28 20:43:53 GMT 2007

Please do not pick on the Pinto. The early Pinto's were great little cars,
particularly the 1971's with the 2000 engine. They did have some rust issues
in parts of the country that used salt on the roads, but then so did
everything else. The 1971 2000 liter engine with 9.2:1 compression, overhead
cam put out 100 hp stock and could be taken all the way to 200 with bolt on
stuff or 300 with a supercharger. Very good durable engine. Many went well
over 200,000 miles. The Pinto also had rack and pinion steering and front
disc brakes. I know about the gas tank problem, but most of the risk was
because almost all of them were hatch backs or station wagons with no
barrier between the rear section and passenger compartment. They recalled
and installed a fix by placing a cover over the front of the tank that would
divert the fuel towards the ground if rear ended. One spectacular car law
suite should not condemn a very good car. Yes, I still have an extremely
clean 1971 hatchback and a 71 pinto engine, transmission, rear end, front
suspension, steering, brakes, etc. in my Gazelle kit car. Love the engines.

Slats