[ROVERNET - UK] P6B rear brakes

Eric Russell p6rovers at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 25 00:44:25 GMT 2007

Sounds like a good topic for our Practical Tips
section on the club website.  Pictures and words to
come.

In the meantime, I hope you get all the help you need
on the list.  If not, get back to me and I'll relate
my experiences to you.

Eric

--- Ray Wilkins <raymond.wilkins at bigpond.com> wrote:

> Yes, back on this old chestnut again. I am in the
> process of replacing the
> rear calipers on my P6B which is something I have
> not done before. When I
> inserted the pads they were very tight and the disc
> would not move. When I
> looked at the piston inside the caliper, it was
> proud by about 3mm. I
> decided to bite the bullet and remove the calipers
> from the car and onto the
> bench for easier access. After checking the manual
> and rotating the piston
> clockwise it would still not move back flush with
> the caliper body. If I
> move the handbrake bracket, the piston rotates and
> clicks which would seem
> to indicate all is well inside the caliper (which
> has been reconditioned by
> myself and a very experienced Rover Car Club of
> Australia member) but I
> still cannot get the pistons flush with caliper body
> (it's the same on both
> calipers).
> Is it OK for the piston to be proud by 3mm? or must
> it be flush? Apart from
> rotating the piston, is there any other way of
> moving it back? All help
> would be greatly appreciated.
> Ray Wilkins
> 1976 P6B
> Melbourne Australia

Webmaster of The Rover Car Club of Canada
Website:  http://www.roverclub.ca/
Webmaster of a variety of sites from:
http://www.websrus.ca