[ROVERNET - UK] Eimination of the AED on a P6B ??

Jim Hall jimhall at frii.com
Sat Nov 24 05:12:57 GMT 2007

Patrick

Converting to manual operation of the SUs is less expensive by far, and
works just fine. You don't have to add a choke, it is already there, just
not connected. What is missing is the fast idle cam and the clamps for a
choke cable. I got the cams (left hand and right hand) off of junk carbs
from a 72 MGB, but I bet the same cams were used on other cars. Get the
little bushings from the choke spindles too, because the Rover setup has
bushings that are too short when you add the cams. I used a single choke
cable, but I have also seen it done with a double cable from a Triumph (one
knob operates two cables), which is probably easier. With the single cable,
I had to fabricate a linkage between the carbs, which was very difficult to
get right. The early 3500 cars had manual chokes, and the official
3500/3500S shop manual has some illustrations that help. Takes a lot of
fiddling around, but I have heard that the four-barrel carb conversion
requires some work for the throttle linkage.

Have fun.
Jim Hall
'70 3500S in Colorado