[ROVERNET - UK] Re: V8 Engine Questions

Kent Kinard kkinard at wcc.net
Tue May 15 05:07:03 BST 2007

Hi Adrian,
Have you actually done the P6B/ZF HP22 installation?  I
doubt it will fit.  HP22/24 is a tight fit with some
bumping required in either an SD1 or P5B and the P6B trans
tunnel is even tighter.  An easier upgrade is the BW65/66
as it was fitted to late P6B's.   The easiest OD auto to
fit at present is via a kit from D&D which is very
expensive.  It is made to fit MGBV8 conversions.  The
700R4(small bellhousing) transmission is much longer than
the BW35 and will require floorpan surgery and a shorted
driveshaft with appropriate Ujoint at the rear of the
trans.   Clearance with the D&D kit should be good in the
firewall and bellousing area.

You can use the SD1/front cover and oil pump (larger
gears) but this requires using the SD1 distributor drive
gear and some slight modifications to the distributor
shaft (or the use of a post '76 Range Rover
distributor....not sure when RR went electronic but I have
a dizzy from an '84 with points and the correct drive dog)
You will need to use the P6B oil pump cover to get the oil
filter pointed in the right direction, I believe.

The P6B oil pump is perfectly adequate for the SD1 enigine
IF it is in good condition and set to specs.  The SD1
front cover used a superior oil seal, but there is a one
piece neoprine seal for the P6B front cover.  It does,
however, require that the front cover be removed for seal
replacement.  SD1 front seals can be changed with the
front cover in place.

Roverly,
Kent K.

On Mon, 14 May 2007 20:31:02 -0700