[ROVERNET - UK] Bleeding brakes!

Steven Dibdin sdibdin at hotmail.com
Tue May 1 19:14:11 BST 2007

Intended pun!

Hi All,

I'm after the collective knowledge of the RoverNet community. Some of you
may know my friend Rowland Copeland and his 1969 2000TC. He lost his brakes
a while ago and after investigating we found that most of his brack fulid
had ended up in side the vacuum canisters of both brake servos. So, they
were distpatched to Ruth Burgess and came back looking and feeling great.

So i have been helping him bleed his brakes so that he can get the system
working again. I did similar work on my '68 TC the year before lats and
after a bit of work and guidence from eric and Ruth git everything working
fine.

With Rowland's car we have tried all the normal tricks; cracking open the
unions on the the nose of each servo, jacking the rear of the car up to give
the rear line a good incline to help stop air locks etc. And still no joy,
last weekend we tried a mity vac and got through a quart and a half of
fluid.

I'm beginning to think that it's not me but something else that is causing
the problem, maybe the master cylinder. Here's what we've got so far:

>Two pumps of the brake pedal give a bit of pressure.

>The reaction piston that actautes the air valve on the servos rises on the
>rear servo, but not the front always (Suggests that rear system is working
>somewhat).

>Rowland reckons that the brakes went with no warning of failure (fortunatly
>he was just coming out of the car wash when this happed!).

>Judging by th estate of the fulid in the servo's vac canisters they had
>been leaking for a while.

With the exception of the clutch system on my car (turned out to be a bad
master cylinder re-sleeve at some point). I've never had this trouble
bleeding a hydrolic system before.

Sorry for the extra long email, but I've run a bit dry on ideas with this
one.

Thanks to any one with suggestions,

Steven Dibdin