[ROVERNET - UK] SD1 Windshield removal

Kent Kinard kkinard at wcc.net
Tue Mar 20 13:53:33 GMT 2007

On Tue, 20 Mar 2007 01:41:16 -0400
  Glen Wilson <rovercar at comcast.net> wrote:
> Nick,
>
> Everything Bill has said fits with my experience.

I would concur with Bill and Glen except on one point.  I
have always removed the trim and screen together.  My
experience is that the trim is well stuck to the screen
and the screen comes out with the trim intact and unbent.
 The only screens I have broken were from trying to take
the trim off first.  There are a couple of places where
the cutting wire (they do make a special wire for this
purpose.  I have a very long piece and could probably make
two or three pieces that are plenty long enough for the
job) hangs up on the metal trim and has to be worked past
with an ice pic.  The bead type sealant on a roll is good
stuff and holds quite well.  I have never had the need for
additional sealant.

The original factory seal is live rubber that is actually
vulcanized by the embeded resistance wire after it is in
place.

If you break the screen, I do have one spare left.  I have
broken several in storage.  While they are very strong,
they seem to be brittle and do not take kindly to being
stored unsupported or transported loose.  It is indeed
very important that they not have any contact with the
body after installation.

Rovereinstalledly,
Kent K.