[ROVERNET - UK] Newbie's dossier

Laine Colley twinklsun at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 27 18:00:28 BST 2007

Eureka! After two unsuccessful attempts I have made contact. The
HTML monster is dead. I apologize for not remembering your name
off hand, but thanks to the fellow who showed me the error of my
ways.

Here goes nothing.

My name is Laine and I am 32. I am a returning college student
with two semesters left, a wife and a mom. I live in Northern
Michigan and have just bought a 1960 80 lhd. It is one of the 12
sol in North America and it is the 12th off the line.

I was in the market for my first love, a 1954 Chevy Bel Air, when
my husband asked if I had checked the local paper. I had prepared
myself for a trip to Wisconsin to pick up a 4 door Bel that was a
bit iffy in all areas when, there on the local site, was this
car. Someone found it in Cleveland blocking the way to a stock
Shelby Mustang. He had hoped to bring the Mustang, but someone
beat him to it. He brought the Rover back just to break even.

It had been in that building for a long time. Most of its issues
are with dry rubber. The leaf springs and all of the shocks are
shot and the starter solenoid is burnt up, but with those
replaced it could be a summer driver.

What I joined this forum to discuss isnt the mechanics as much as
its value and the steps I can take to make it more weather
resistant. In a perfect world I would like to tear it all down
and coat all exposed steel with some sort of protection. That
probably wont happen. Not soon anyway. So in the eyes of classic
Rover owners, what can I do to her?

It seems they cant even give the 80s away in Britain. Is an
American one any better?

Just getting started,

Laine