[ROVERNET - UK] SD-1 heads and plugs

David Read defender110 at ozemail.com.au
Tue Jan 30 09:05:55 GMT 2007

I own both types of vehicles.
SD1 hand book recommends Champion N12Y gapped to 0.035"
P6B/3500 handbook recommends Champion L92Y gapped to 0.025"

The P6B has SD1 heads fitted running the N12Y's at 0.035" without any
dramas. (after all, the blocks are basically the same)

Engines need 3 basic ingrdients to run ... fuel, spark and timing.
I would check that all three basic ingredients are in place first.

Running the shorter reach L92Y's in the SD1 heads could cause carbon
fouling of the exposed head threads, possibly making the subsequent
fitment of the correct, longer reach plugs difficult.

IMHO, plug choice would not prevent the engine from starting/running
unless *all* are really badly fouled.
I would look somewhere else for your "no-start" culprit.

Cheers
Dave
South Oz