[ROVERNET - UK] P6 -SD1 spark plug gap?

defender110 at ozemail.com.au defender110 at ozemail.com.au
Tue Jan 16 23:15:14 GMT 2007

Hi
Ballasted coils are used solely to give better spark at crank starting
speeds where the ballast resistor is shorted out in the "start" key
position, effectively running the 8-9v coil st 12v.

When the key returns to "run/ign" the resistor is placed back into the
circuit.

Note:- the *resistor* may physically exist as a length of resistance
wire between the ign switch and coil.

I would not advise permanently running a ballasted coil without resistor
as there are reliability and electrical issues with plug electrode wear,
cross firing and corona discharge.

BTDT <g>.

If you want more bang, you could try a *complete* electronic system, but
remember, the more complicated the bits, the more complicated the
possible problems.

<mounting soapbox>
Nothing beats a properly sorted/maintained/adjusted OEM system.
After all, the manufacturer has spent far more R&D $$$$'s than we mere
mortals will ever have in developing the system in the first place!
<dismounting soapbox>

Cheers
Dave
South Oz