[ROVERNET - UK] Wanted: P4 '60' 4-cylinder engine in USA/Canada

S Manwell s_manwell at alum.swarthmore.edu
Wed Feb 28 00:57:34 GMT 2007

I have been in contact with a garage in Connecticut that is looking for
a good P4 '60' engine for a restoration on a 1958 P4 they are doing for
a customer.  The engine in the car is firmly seized after a long soak
with 'Mystery Oil in the cylinders.  I have advised them that they might
find an engine through Land Rover Series I sources, and they are looking
into importing an engine from the UK.  Sounds like the engine was low on
power for a while, then sat for some years and is now seized.

Does anyone know of a 60 engine available in North America?  How about a
good running 60 engine available in the UK or elsewhere?

Depending on how badly stuck the engine is, they might be better off
putting resources into rebuilding the existing engine rather than
putting in a running engine with unknown history.  I don't think there
are many 60's or Series I's in the US.  Maybe put an '80' / LR Series II
engine in it?

Thanks,

Steve Manwell