[ROVERNET - UK] Vacuum gauge

Fletcher gofanu at usachoice.net
Sun Feb 11 19:22:49 GMT 2007

Steve-
For tuning/troubleshooting, a vacuum gauge needs to be very sensitive,
so you can see stuff like sticky valves and such. But, for use in
driving, as an economy gauge, it needs a lot of damping. This is done by
connecting with small bore tubing, and may still need more damping. Lots
of Britcars have fuel traps in vacuum lines. These are little cans,
about 3/4" dia x 3" long, with 1/8" tube connections on each end, that
are designed to keep fuel (condensed from vapor) out of things like vac
advance units. They also are good dampers, since the small line feeding
a large volume then out via small line makes a damper.
Standard on all manner of MG, Triumph, etc, and available from usual
suppliers. I've also seen similar on late American stuff, or you can
make them. Small engine fuel filters are pretty good for this. The
vacuum tapping can be anywhere in the manifold, from the balance tube is
best as vac is most even there. Off the brake hose is fine so long as
you don't compromise the hose.
Beautiful car, and I like the paint. One of mine was light blue, and I
resprayed the parts you have white in dark blue = "Too Blue Rover"
But, please get rid of those air filters! They are seriously restrictive
AND they don't filter worth squat. I have had no end of problems over
the years with carbs getting filthy from these on customer cars. It will
wear out the engine from both dirty air and excessive fuel washing down
the bores. In fact, I have an MGB in here now with just that problem,
They REALLY are awful or "engine lethal".
FRM