[ROVERNET - UK] SD1 Steering lower Column(Firewall) Bearing CRC360

Kent Kinard kkinard at wcc.net
Fri Aug 31 03:52:34 BST 2007

Hi Vic and James,
The part Vic is missing (and as a result the bottom of the
column flops around) is a plastic bearing (CRC360,
available from Rimmers) that fits through the firewall.  I
have replaced these on both SDs and TRs and I believe they
are different sizes (Triumph part number UKC2322,
superceeded by UKC2322POLY).  These new ones sold by
Rimmers as replacements(for Triumph, not Rover) are an
improved type and are translucent purple.  After wrestling
with one for over a day with no success, someone on
Rovernet mentioned that these had to be placed in boiling
water to soften them before fitting.  I did.  It did.
 It's been a long time since I've done one of these but be
sure to mark and allign carefully when removing the
steering column from the upper Ujoint on the intermediate
shaft.

Yes, James, some racks require an intermediate shaft of a
different length.  When I installed a manual rack, I had
to have the intermediate shaft made up to match.  At least
Burman and Alford & Adler racks sent to North America use
the same intermediate shaft.  In comparring this
intermediate shaft  (CRC2754) with the early UK shaft and
coupling (CRC225 and CRC1346) the designs are completely
different.  Evidently both arrangements have been
superceeded by GRV1028, so there is no difference in
effective length, only a difference in design.  Since the
CamGears rack was fitted as a direct replacement for the
two previously mentioned racks, it would be reasonable to
assume that it used the same intermediate shaft length.
 This only leaves the AdWest rack and I have never
examined one of these and know of them only second hand by
word of mouth,  there being no reference to them it in any
of the books I have.

Roverackedly,
Kent K.