[ROVERNET - UK] NAS P6B w.Electric sunroof, Minilites

Kent Kinard kkinard at wcc.net
Wed Aug 15 15:19:08 BST 2007

Hi Richard,
Your memory is ironclad.  I did not recognize the car
until I saw it and talked to the shop owner.  Whatever
else can be said about Ron Jones, it must be admitted that
he had a nose for the odd and unusual.  This is the car I
saw about ten years ago and was told it was "Jeff's car."
 Jeff abandoned the car about six years ago and supposedly
moved to Houston.  He cannot be found, if he is still
alive.  The car has moderate front end damage (drivers
side front wing is pushed back just enough to prevent
driver's door from opening.  Bonnet is bent at the rear
corners and hinges are frozen.  Seats are black but carpet
is light (sandalwood?).

Ownership and documentation are non-existent.  It had 1992
Texas plates with it which I will try to run down through
my DMV connection, but the plates are old enough to not be
in the current system.  Shop owner said he tried to trace
the VIN with no success.  Said it was not in the Texas
system six years ago.

Curiously, the shop owner said that Ron Jones drives a cab
in San Antonio.  I haven't heard from him in nearly three
years.  He called shortly after we moved to Sterling City
and tried to sell me the glass roof car for US$5,000 plus
the spare parts that he still had.  I got the impression
that he had once again fallen behind in his storage rent
and was about to be locked out.

The car should probably be parted out.  It has the A/C
parts you need and the rear wings that I need and a nice
interior.  It's a shame, because the base unit is really
solid.  A bottle of Castrol spilled in the boot and soaked
the carpet, thus insuring that the boot floor is well
preserved:-)

I haven't looked for a crank in the boot, but I will.
 there is none in the interior.

Steve Manwell has suggested a contact for information
about factory sunroof installations.  They were all
Hollandia, some manual, some power and evidently quite
rare.

Maybe Dirk will trade me for one of his surplus P4's????

Roverly,
Kent K.