[ROVERNET - UK] Help from Down Under

Peter Huttemeier peterhut at melbpc.org.au
Sat Apr 28 04:51:28 BST 2007

On Thu, 26 Apr 2007 12:45:04 -0700, you wrote:

>Thanks Peter,
>
>I have tried a couple of boards and forums, but no luck yet. I figured that
>someone down your way would probably have the answer if anyone did.

Here is reply from our TC owner member. I did not tell him you were
from across the pond, but I am sure the offer of a look see is still
ok if you want to pop on over!! Anyway hope this is of some help.

Cheers,

Peter H.

My TC has a Datsun 1200 steering box in it.  Apparently the original
ones are as vague as all hell and the Pitman arm is famous for
breaking off at the wrong moment.

Referring to my reference book 'TC's Forever' by Michael Sherrell, a
gentleman from Western Australia who is well known within TC circles,
he indicates on page 104 that a Datsun 1000/1200 steering box is used.
He does not give much in the way of details but gives a contact as:
John Bowles, PO Box 66, Waroona, 6215, WA. I do not know how current
this contact is as the book is about 15 years old.

It may be useful to look at the sebsite of the TC Owners Club of WA.
They have quite a few links and the contact person may be able to
advise who to speak to. Their address is http://www.mgtcoc.com/

Ray Skewes of Bulleen may also be a useful person to consult.  He runs
a workshop dedicated to the older MG's.

Possibly contacting the MG Car Club might be useful.  There is a T
Type internet bulletin put out by Aubrey Paverd
aubreypaverd at bigpond.com   on behalf of the T Register within the
MGCC.  He may be able to assist.

I hope that this is of some use.  I assume that you are asking on
behalf of someone who has a TC about this fix to a serious problem
that TC's have.  I would welcome the chance to let him/her have a look
at my steering box to see how it has been done in my car.