[ROVERNET - UK] V8 Engine rebuild - surprised at professional advice

steve bridge slbridge at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 21 15:29:53 BST 2006

Hi Peter,
  While no expert on Rover short blocks, to me $2900 is high. "I wouldn't
work on your crap, but I will sell you my gold" Is a routine operators have
used forever. In the end, he will be generous enough take your "crap" as
scrap to help you out. I hadn't realized the liners were so thin as to wear
out with a honing, huh... and his liners are just a prone to falling out as
yours. Loose liners are not unique to used engines, that's why manufacturers
offer warranties.
  These motors are light and are easily shipped by truck. I don't have one
laying around, but I'm sure someone on the list does. If you are not
building a show car, but rather a driver, a good, used long block (or short)
will do what you need. Last time I looked (been a while) Rimmers wasn't much
higher than $2900 on their new shortblocks. I go to a shop that rebuilds
farm equipment (good prices). A motor is a motor is a motor and an
experienced shop will know all of the frailities of AL motors. Info from the
Rovernet will fill any blanks not known by the shop.
Steve