[ROVERNET - UK] V8 Engine rebuild - surprised at professional advice

Franc Buxton fab at dcs.warwick.ac.uk
Thu Sep 21 15:01:52 BST 2006

Peter_Mitchell wrote:

> Following my posting this week re: rebuilding my spare '70 model V8 engine,
> [...]
>
> The engine rebuilder said that he would regard a 70's V8 engine as scrap
> value only. [...]
>
> He offered me a 3.5 litre 'short' engine of 80's vintage that has been
> relinered to 3.9 litres, for A$2900. [...]
>
> I can appreciate that a professional might have reservations about
> rebuilding an older motor [...]
>
> I would be grateful for the input of members on the situation that I have
> outlined.

	[Franc emerges from lurk mode for the first time in months...]

	I would recommend you get another opinion. I have never heard of an
engine 'developing' pinholes in the liners unless they have gone _very_ rusty.
Since when does cast iron or even aluminium just evaporate? Assuming the liners
were sealed against the bores nothing could happen as far as I can see. Much
more likely (and common) is that the liners in the newly-rebored 3.9 conversion
will slip. I suspect he might have reservations about honing your block when he
can sell you a 3.9 instead (excuse my cynicism, which is born of experience!).

	Just my opinion, but I've seen a few V8s...

	Cheers,
		Franc.

--

Franc Buxton
Departmental Safety Officer, Networking Technician, general dogsbody

Die dulci fruimini