[ROVERNET - UK] Sale of Jaguar and Land Rover...Chrysler

Glen Wilson rovercar at comcast.net
Sat Sep 2 21:23:10 BST 2006

Well, I don't know if there are Mitsubishi products now that used to
carry the Chrysler name, but Mitsubishi definitely did not "buy"
Chrysler! Chrysler used to own a large percentage of Mitsubishi, market
some of its products in the USA as Dodges, and have joint production
facilities in Illinois.

Let's not look down our noses at Chrysler....

Chrysler has made some pretty respectable stuff in the last decade or
so, and they paid back the "bail out" funds to the U.S. government in
full plus interest. Who else ever did that?

There are a lot of nice Benz bits in today's Chrysler products (some of
the upscale models have "Mercedes" cast into everything under the hood),
but I don't think it's been a one-way street.

The Daimler-Chrysler corporate report divides production into three
categories: Mercedes Car Group, Chrysler Car Group, and Commercial
Vehicle Group. The car groups are fairly flat, but the Commercial
Vehicle Group is booming.

Mercedes Car Group  LOSSES        505,000,000  Euro in 2005  1,216,838 units
Chrysler Car Group     PROFITS    1,534,000,000  Euro in 2005
2,812,993 units
Commercial Vehicle   PROFITS    2,093,000,000  Euro in 2005
824,867 units

Don't know what brands are under Commercial Vehicles (some of them are
definitely Japanese) but that's where the big profits seem to be.

Actually, the commercial brands are MB, Freightliner, Fuso, Thomas-Built
Buses, Sterling Trucks, Western Star Trucks, Orion and Setra.

Glen

http://www.daimlerchrysler.com/Projects/c2c/channel/documents/829814_DC_GB05_E_Kapitel_01_keyfigures.pdf