[ROVERNET - UK] Windshields seals and restoration

Gavin.Walker at csiro.au Gavin.Walker at csiro.au
Fri Sep 1 02:17:10 BST 2006

Gianluca,
  There are three seals involved in replacing the front windscreen.  I
haven't done the rear but I suspect it is similar.  All can be reused if
they are in good condition.

1. The thick rubber seal you can see from the outside.  Reuse this one.
At least roughly clean out the old sealant from the inside and outside.
I'd recommend a volumous, non-setting sealant.  I've use silicon, and it
works but if you ever have to get it out again it's really hard to get
off.

2. There a foam strip that is glued to the body just behind the dash
pad.  The original is fairly soft stuff and disintegrates on removal.
Scott's sells a more solid replacement.  However I found if you don't
get it in the right place the bottom of the screen rides high and the
valance is difficult to fit.  A test fitting is probably worth while.

3. The screen is support by a long metal channel.  This channel should
be lined with a semi viscous rubber.  Scott's sells a strip of this.  It
is often perished into dry chunks.  It's there to protect the bottom of
the screen from cracking.

The windscreen is quite easy to get in and out so a test fit without
sealant (and the lower seal just tacked on) is helpful.

Gavin Walker
Canberra, Australia