[ROVERNET - UK] P5 Girling booster

Kent Kinard kkinard at wcc.net
Fri Oct 20 04:55:20 BST 2006

On Fri, 20 Oct 2006 14:04:26 +1100
  "Paul Smith" <Paul.Smith at auroraenergy.com.au> wrote:
> My recollection from P4 workshop manual is that all the
>90s, 105s, 60s (if any 60s were made that late) had
>Clayton.  80s, 100s, 95s, 110s had Girling.
> So 1959-60 was when the change was made.

I had never really looked at the servo that is on the car
at present to make comparisons with the workshop manual.
 In retrospect, I think Ruth was trying to get me to use a
Lockheed and I misunderstood.

It turns out the servo on the car is neither fish nor
fowl.  It appears not to be a Rover servo at all, but
rather a Girling servo from a Triumph GT6 or similar.
It bolts up to the Mk. II mounting bracket and uses the
same main body, but a smaller vacuum chamber and piston,
which would partially explain why the previous owner
thought the brakes were so poor.  The car will now get a
proper Mk. II if I can get the piston to slide.  Yes,
Steve, the new rubber rod is thicker, but the old one was
completely unusable.  I may try it to see if it will
loosen up since I don't have or know of a good substitute
for the rubber rod.  The Mk. II Girling servo was
introduced on the P4 with the beginning of the 1960 model
year production but appears to have been fitted to P5's
with drum brakes from the onset of P5 production in the
fall of '58.

Roverly,
Kent K.