[ROVERNET - UK] P5 Girling booster

S Manwell s_manwell at alum.swarthmore.edu
Fri Oct 20 03:56:49 BST 2006

Kent,

In some servo rebuild kits the rubber rod (for pushing the leather seal
against the vacuum cylinder)  is  too thick or not soft enough.  I had
the same problem and wound up re-using the original rubber rod in a
re-rebuild.  The first time around the servo I rebuilt for my P5 put the
brakes on a little more firmly each time I touched the pedal until the
car wouldn't move.  We had better luck with the servo I rebuilt for
Dad's P4 110, but it may have been a newer kit (i.e. not an NOS Girling
kit.)  I have never noticed a problem with the leather seal retainer in
these servos nor in others I've taken apart.

I believe the Girling MkII booster is the same in P4's and P5's at least
from around 1960 through 1964, though there are some variations such as
changes in the air intake filter.  I'm not sure when in the '50's the
Clayton servo was phased out.

--Steve