[ROVERNET - UK] Timing chain noises 2000TC

Nathan Obuch nathanobuch at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 18 23:19:01 BST 2006

Well, it's awfully quiet on the Rovernet, so I thought
I'd ask a question:

My '69 2000TC makes a distinct hollow, metallic
jingling noise at idle. It disappears at higher revs.
I think it's coming from one of the timing chains. My
question is: is it possible this can be fixed by
replacing just the tensioner? Also, what are the
consequences of ignoring this problem? From what I
gather it's a non-interference engine, so should a
chain snap/jump time, it wouldn't cause any collateral
damage- unless I'm loading up my oil with chunks of
disintegrating tensioner or metal ground off the
timing cover by a sloppy chain.
As always, your collective Rover thoughts are
appreciated in advance.

Nathan