[ROVERNET - UK] Bearings redux

Lance La Certe lacpsyd at earthlink.net
Sun Oct 15 21:22:53 BST 2006

Thanks once again (how many times have I thanked all of you) for helping
out with various problems on the 'ol Rover.  Low and behold those little
notches inside the hub were hiding under 15 lbs of bearing grease.  Once I
found the notches, heated the hell out of the bearing tracks with my humble
little propane torch, I was able to drift the outer tracks right
out-----BUT, the inner bearing tracks were a much different story.  On my
particular hubs, there were no notches on the opposite end where the inner
bearing tracks were pressed in.  With torch in hand and much persistence I
was finally able to get enough purchase with a thin screwdriver on the very
edge of the tracks to lodge them out.

The best news??? One can carefully tap out the oil seals from the opposite
end (as opposed to prying them out) without damaging them; they're good as
new and can be reused.  If any one needs a set of the seals, Ruth at ABC
has them.

Thanks again for all of the help.

Lance La Certe
lacpsyd at earthlink.net