[ROVERNET - UK] fuel Vaporization SD1

Kent Kinard kkinard at wcc.net
Fri Oct 13 13:08:59 BST 2006

Hi Miles,
I will assume a that it had been started recently before
this episode.

Was the battery disconnected prior to startup?  If so, the
computer will often take up to twenty minutes to "relearn"
engine parameters.

Check the fuel pressure in the rail (not easy and somewhat
dangerous) as the fault may lie with the fuel pressure
regulator or the fuel pump.  My injected SD1's had many
pump problems and injector problems, but never a bad
regulator, though others seem to have had that problem.

What ignition are you running?  Stock distributors burn
out in hot climates because all the electronics are inside
the distributor body.  Symptoms for this fault are
different, though.  Usually starts with engine cutting out
at speed after it gets hot  and gets progressively worse
over time.

I am unaware of any problem with fuel vaporization if the
regulator and pump are up to spec.

It could be a fault with the cold start injector, so check
that item for function and flow. It should not operate at
high ambient temperatures but if the thermal time switch
is faulty, you will get symptoms like a carb engine with
the manual enrichment left on.  All this assumes a "hot
soak" starting condition with high underbonnet temps.

Bueno suerte amigo,
Kent K.

On Thu, 12 Oct 2006 22:37:34 -0400