[ROVERNET - UK] V8 Engine rebuild query - belated thanks

Slatskars slatskars at comcast.net
Wed Oct 4 19:38:01 BST 2006

I though that I would pipe in on a portion of this subject. That is pinholes
in the sleeve or block. Way back I recall having this problem arise on a CAT
3208 block. My lead mechanic said that this was not too uncommon on large
diesel engines from aeration in the cooling system. It seems that the little
air bubbles can eventually wear a hole through. He also showed me some wet
sleeves from a Cummins that had not gone through, but there were definite
signs of the potential. An additive and some modifications to the radiator
were made to minimize this problem.

Slats