R: [ROVERNET - UK] Outer sills - Black but which black?

Glen Wilson rovercar at comcast.net
Tue Nov 21 18:01:00 GMT 2006

On the Federal 3500S that we got in North America, the paint on the
sills was a satin finish that was pretty similar to the black finish
used in the engine compartment area. The bottoms of the front fenders
were not actually painted black. In fact, the black area on the front
fender was a small bit of sheet aluminum cladding that was riveted to
the fender. I always wondered why they didn't just paint that area. I
assume that this had something to do with the fact that the body panels
were all painted prior to assembly. Adding the black aluminum pieces
amounted to just one more assembly operation. Maybe the painting had to
be done by union labor or something. Maybe they reasoned that the added
aluminum cladding added a bit of protection from flying stones.

Anyway, in the USA, these aluminum pieces are often left off when the
car is repainted. This and along with the absence of the coachline down
the side of the body are typically indications that the car has been
repainted.

Anyone else have thoughts on these added bits on the bottoms of the fenders?

Glen