[ROVERNET - UK] P5 booster problem solved

peter king peter at king-co.com
Sun Nov 5 22:33:17 GMT 2006

Hi Kent.

I used the "special" black grease that came with the rebuild kit. The
two tubes weren't labeled, and at first I thought it was gasket
sealer. It had the same consistency, but it actually felt like there
was a fine grit in it. The instructions that came with the kit said
nothing about the lubricant, but the manual mentioned using the other
"red rubber grease" on the piston shaft, so I used the other black
grease for the leather.

I used metal polish on the inside, and I greased the sides of the
canister lightly, as well as the leather. It definitely made a
difference in the return. I also removed the "t" valve and piston and
made sure there was nothing obstructing it's operation. I cleaned out
the housing again, flushing it with clean fluid into a black plastic
container, which revealed a lot of tiny aluminum specs that had
remained in the cylinders. I don't know if the flecks were causing
any trouble, but they would have, over time, no doubt. Anyway, after
I did that,  I felt better about the piston movement and the "t"
valve's function.

The other thing I noticed was that I was able to remove the piston
plug the first time by rapping the unit on a wooden surface, as the
manual says, but the second time, with the new seal in place, I had
to use the method given in the kit's instructions, pushing the piston
out from inside. I used a modified small allen wrench, bent down at a
slight angle, which was stiff enough and gave me enough leverage to
push against the plug enough to get it out. It took a lot of repeated
lever actions to get the plug out.

Good luck with yours!

Peter