[ROVERNET - UK] 2000 SC auto

Kent Kinard kkinard at swbell.net
Mon May 15 16:15:13 BST 2006

Hi Ron,
You can fit anything to anything provided you have
enough time and money.  All the Rover auto conversions
I'm familiar with are V8 conversions, so the 2000SC
would be something new.  The conversion to 4spd manual
is much easier, but if you want a better automatic for
your SC, you must decide if you need an OD automatic
or not.  OD automatics are always longer than
comparable 3spd. autos and I'm not sure how much room
you have under the floorpan/tunnel on the SC.  Gear
spacing and torque match are other considerations.

The AW70/71 is closer to the BW65 than to the BW35 in
terms of installation details.  You can use a BW65
bellhousing on an AW70/71 with some modification.  The
same cannot be said for the BW35 bellhousing.  I don't
believe the BW65 was ever fitted to the SC.  Service
and parts expertise for the AW70/71 may not be readily
available in all areas.

When considering an auto gearbox swap, there are three
area to consider, 1.bellhousing to block adaptation
(or if you have a suitable bellhousing already mated
to the engine into which the new torque converter will
fit, an adaptation between the bellhousing and the
transmission body), 2. Pilot adapter to support the
front of the torque converter, and 3.
flexplate/driveplate attachment to the torque
conveter.  Everything else is a matter of
fitting...linkages, driveshaft length and attachment,
floorpan/tunnel clearance, linkage and controls.

The simplest approach to take with the AW70/71 would
be to try the Volvo bellhousing on the back of the P6
block/adapter plate and see how close they come to
mating.  It may be possible to index the Volvo
bellhousing to the Rover adapter plate/block and
simply redrill the Rover plate.  The AW trans may
actually use the same pilot arrange ment as the BW35,
which would be helpful, but I can't remember offhand
and I don't have an AW trans handy at the moment.
This would only leave you with matching the torque
converter to the Rover flexplate.  Unfortunately, the
flexplate for the SC/BW35 seems to be the weak point
in the whole drivetrain.  Someone else will have to
chime in on why they fail so frequently, as it has
slipped my mind.

All in all this is a totally new area and the 4spd
stick conversion is indeed simple by comparrison. If
anyone has a spare SC auto bellhousing and flexplate,
I'd love to have one with which to experiment.

Roverly,
Kent K.