[ROVERNET - UK] Dion tube gaitorand, I have to ask!

Eric Russell p6rovers at yahoo.com
Sun May 14 08:08:38 BST 2006

Steve,
My friend, Art, taught me how to draw the DeDion tube
elbows back together using a "Spanish Windlass".
Wrap a thin piece of rope 2 or three times around one
elbow.  Extend the rope to the other elbow and wrap
that a few few times.  When it's over, you need two
lines of rope connecting the two elbows and very close
together.  Use a piece of a broom handle or the
equivalent to insert between the two lengths of rope
somewhat in the middle of the tube.  Start turning the
wooden (or other thing) and the ropes will tighten
drawing the DeDion elbows closer together.  I make
sure my wooden handle is long enough so that it can be
jammed under the DeDion tube to hold it.  As you are
turning the broom handle bit, it is not a 90 degree
turn but more diagonal as you try to tighten the
ropes.

Anyway, that's what I do any time I have to cause the
DeDion tube to expand.

Eric

--- Paul Smith <vmitps at netspace.net.au> wrote:

> 1.  Take out the centre section of the DeDion, no
> half shafts.
> 2.  Vikings roved the world...
>
> PVS

Webmaster & Magazine Editor: