[ROVERNET - UK] Re: Coracles

Glen Wilson glenwilson at cavtel.net
Tue May 9 14:33:13 BST 2006

On Mon, 2006-05-08 at 21:58 -0300, Ben Rodgers wrote:
> The coracle was a very ancient form of boat, circular shape, wooden frame
> covered with leather animal skins. It is believed that Irish monks reached
> North America in these vessels long before the Vikings.
>                                                        Ben

The coracle is a small boat with a basketwork frame, propelled by using
a paddle. They have been known in Britain for many centuries and are the
successors of the small skin covered boats described by Roman writers,
the earliest record we have of them being from Julius Caesar who while
fighting in Spain in 49bc ordered his troops to make wickerwork boats
covered with hides.

Although its use is now restricted to West Wales and the River Severn,
it was formerly widespread throughout Britain. Larger sea-going versions
known as curraghs are still used in Ireland and throughout the world
there are similar vessels still in use - from the Parisals of India,
Thung-Chai of Vietnam, the Gufas of Iraq, Bullboats of the native North
Americans to the Ku-Dru and Kowas of Tibet.

Build your own coracle:
http://www.travelintelligence.net/wsd/articles/art_793.html

Coracle pics:
http://images.google.com/images?svnum=100&hl=en&lr=lang_en&q=coracle&btnG=Search