[ROVERNET - UK] WHY DO THEY DO THAT?

Richard Elliott relliott44 at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 14 07:02:48 GMT 2006

The light operation is correct for 1966.

Prior to 1968 in the US, the small auxiliary front
lights were steady on for parking only. As now, they
also functioned as the turn indicators. Originally,
the emitted color (either lens or bulb) was clear.
This color changed to amber on American-made cars
around 1965, I think.  Rear signal color was red.

Then, the NHTSA Federal Standards in 1968 specified
numerous standards including the use of "front marker
lamps" which come on with the headlights as a
redundant or back-up light for failed head-lights, to
help distinguish an auto from a motorcycle --
"enhancing the conspicuity of motor vehicles".  Front
turn indicators were to be amber and had to be at a
certain height.  That is why the NADA P6B and Series
II sported the extra bumper lights and the wing
mounted ones are non-functional.

The particular operation is controlled by the
headlight switch.  I can not recall whether the OEM
two-position headlight switch on my 67 TC could be
re-wired or not.  Later three-position switches (fog
head side) could.

Richard Elliott
Rowlett, TX
1970 NADA P6B Tobacco Leaf