[ROVERNET - UK] Leaky bits some where...

Eric Russell p6rovers at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 14 03:08:56 GMT 2006

Steven,
Bubbles in the system.  It's great that you narrowed
the search to the front system.
Brainstorming:
1.  A loose joint.
* check EVERY fitting joint, front calipers, master
cylinder outlets, front calipers pipe and bleed
screws, joints in and out of the servo, joints in and
out of the junction below the servos where the
hydraulic brake light switches lives
2.  A rust pitted servo cylinder bore allowing fluid
past the seal
3.  Seals in the servo or the master cylinder
installed the wrong way round

Servo?
Remove the large nylon valve with the vacumn pipe from
the front servo.  Use your finger or a white rag
tightly tied to the end of a coat hanger wire and
reach inside the vacumn canister to see if liquid is
bypassing the servo cylinder seal.  (If yes, then you
know what THAT means - "oh, bugger!")

Bummer, dude!

Eric

--- Steven Dibdin <sdibdin at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I have rebuilt the servos on my '68 2000 TC so now
> (according to the invoice
> of work providied to the last owner) everything on
> the system has been
> rebuilt or replaced on the brake system in the last
> 12 months.
>
> My problem is that I still have some air getting
> into the front circuit. My
> first guess is that my call on the condition of the
> front servo cylinder
> walls was wrong and I need to get them resleeved.
>
> My question is this: does someone have any advice
> for tracking leaks in the
> brake system when there isn't an obvious leak of
> fluid? (Admitedly some
> parts are still pretty grubby).
>
> Some more background:
>
> The problem was that the brakes had air getting into
> them after about two
> months- bleed the system and the air is in the front
> circuit. The bubbles
> are super fine- the fluid looks like vanilla
> milkshake (Although not as
> tasty). After the rebuild I think I'm getting the
> same leak, but more so. I
> will take the servo off to check fluid has got into
> the vacuum canister, but
> I'm not convinced that this is the answer.
>
> Any help would be welcome.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Steven Dibdin

Webmaster & Magazine Editor: