[ROVERNET - UK] Slightly OT but not quite

Glen Wilson glenwilson at cavtel.net
Wed Mar 8 07:18:13 GMT 2006

On Tue, 2006-03-07 at 11:30 +0000, JOHN wrote:
> I heard many years ago, that the engine in the P4 was
> designed by R.R. but I hadn't heard of any being made
> for R.R. by Rover. That P.4 engine was used in some
> London black cabs
> best wishes
> John

Rover engines for the P4 were designed by Rover. The P4 engine was an
IOE (inlet over exhaust) engine (sometimes described as an F-head, I
believe). RR was also building IOE engines, which is where the confusion
originates.

In the USA, most people know that Merlin engines were made under license
by Packard, primarily for the P-51 Mustang. I hadn't heard before that
Rover made any of these although I did know they were into tank
production in some way.

Glen