[ROVERNET - UK] Slightly OT but not quite

iudkuy wcygiohs iudkuy at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 7 22:39:49 GMT 2006

Paul

The actual date of transfer of the jet engine work to
Rolls Royce was 1st April 1943. Rover were completing
contracts for Cheetah aero engine parts and so were
able to take up the tank engine work.

This info is from a fascinating book on the
development of the Whittle engine published by the
Rolls Royce Heritage Trust entitled "Vikings at
Waterloo". Rover were supposed to just do what Whittle
wanted but "our boys" saw better ways to do it and so
built their own design in secret in parrallel with the
Whittle engines. After the RR takeover it was the
Rover design that went on to be the RR jet engine
right through the fifties. The story hints at company
and government department rivalries with not a little
snobbery on the RR side.

Peter B