[ROVERNET - UK] Wheels

Fletcher gofanu at usachoice.net
Mon Jul 31 20:41:56 BST 2006

In my experience, and it may be due to the dealer in Pittsburgh, PA,
where I did most of my work,  but is consistent on cars from other
places that I've met:
All SC & auto cars have steel wheels with 7/16 studs and ball-faced nuts.
All TC have Rostyles with 1/2 studs and taper seat nuts.
Both use same bolt circle.
This applies generally to both SC I have - a 63 and 66, and both TC 66
and 68, and probably 50+ other cars I've worked on, although I have a
fuzzy memory of the very first TC I ever saw as maybe having steel wheels.
Never saw a wire wheel car, been looking ever since I saw the drawing in
the owner's booklet. Saw one Mag*** wheel in an old dealership, got
excited because it looked so good, tried to pick it up from behind some
stuff and damn near dislocated my shoulder, since it was apparrently
made of lead. Decided it didn't matter how good it looked.
I have now learned from this list that wirewheel cars really do exist,
and 2 sorts of Mag***, The manuals/parts lists I have fail to mention
anything other than steel wheels, and there is no reference to the
different studs & nuts.
While it may not be ultimate truth, I have to believe that my experience
is typical of US cars, at least.
I have heard but not verified that some US domestic car used 5 bolt
Rostyles, possibly in a different bolt circle - this may be the source
of James D's odd wheels.
FRM