[ROVERNET - UK] Renolds timing chain tensioner.

Eric Russell p6rovers at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 4 17:32:27 BST 2006

James,
I have two types of tensioners.  The original worked
like this:
1.  Unscrew the hexagonal head cover plate
2.  Use a hexagonal Allen key (you have to determine
which one) and insert it into the recess you created
above.
3.  Turning the screw one way pulls the pad in and
turning the other way, turns the pad out.

The non-adjustable type required me to use some light
string (in case some fell into the sump) to tie the
pad backwards and close to the assembly.  (What a
nuisance - why couldn't they all be as original  :-(

Eric

--- James Radcliffe <j_radcliffe at hotmail.com> wrote:

> I am having trouble with the timing chain tensioner
> on my Rover 2000TC which
> I am reassembling.  The timing chain tensioner I
> have is a Renolds
> tensioner, and there is no hole in the side of it,
> to release the spring
> tension, as per the instructions in the manual. I
> can fit the tensioner
> okay, but I cant work out how to release the tension
> in the sping. Any
> suggestions would be most helpfull.
>
> Regards,
>
> James Radcliffe.