[ROVERNET - UK] ebay sale

Fritz Rauschenberg wfritz at mindspring.com
Mon Jul 3 19:58:51 BST 2006

I may well be wrong on cars deteriorating in the NW as they do here in the
SE, however, brakes will always become rusty and deteriorate b/c brake
fluid is hydroscopic(it soaks up water) and will attract moisture as long
as it is there.(hydraulic clutches too). And too, an engine sitting for
that long may well have seized, not to mention all the running gear seals
and gaskets rotting away. I personally would not attempt to crank one like
that w/o a rebuild. With all that said, the physical appearance might just
be great and well preserved and that could be misleading as far as the
mechanicals go. This reminds me of a 74 Volvo I rebuilt for one of my
daughters some time ago. It had been sitting for quite a while and I
decided to pull the engine for a rebuild. When I drained the oil, I got a
quart or two of water with it possibly b/c the cooling system gaskets
failed and allowed coolant into the crankcase or maybe the previous owner
"forgot" that it blew a head gasket. Either way, the rebuild was in order.
Well that's my 2 cents worth.

Cheers

Fritz