[ROVERNET - UK] TC CARB TUNE

Slatskars slatskars at comcast.net
Mon Jul 3 05:59:08 BST 2006

Glen,

You are correct, but sure use a lot of words to get there. The carbs are a
separate issue from the rest of the tune-up. The mixtures can be set no
matter what condition the plugs, etc. are in. Depending upon which of the
four types of SU's are used the system can be different. The most common H
or HS types have a button that lifts the carb piston. Mixture is set so that
the RPM momentarily increases and then dies off. If it dies without
increasing it is too lean. If it increases and continues to increase too
rich. After the mixture is set then balance wit unisyn or hose. That simple!
The carbs are very mechanical devises and once set properly they will remain
that way for an extended period of time. Air leaks can affect the ability to
adjust mixture properly. This can sometimes be compensated for by changing
to a slightly different (richer)needle.

Slats