[ROVERNET - UK] 1947 P2 (Rover 16 Sport Saloon)

Stephen JC Beer stephen at beerinc.com
Thu Jan 26 15:26:45 GMT 2006

That's the one...
and I have you to thank for making me aware of it.

The very decent seller wanted far too much money but I was able to
acquire her as a trade for two very clean BMW motorcycles (R90S /
R100GS). We were both happy -- which is unusual in a deal as convoluted
as this was.

The car is remarkably original although she is suffering under a very
mediocre black paint job (not on my watch).

I have not touched the original leather except to slather it with hide
food and have my kids bounce around on it. It pleases me to see them
clambering on the running boards and ask for rides -- which I can't
really do until I sort out the rear seatbelt issue (nothing stock of
substance to attach belts to).

I have re-built (taken apart and re-assembled after cleaning) the dual
throat Solex and changed the plugs and oil. She runs better and has
been driven the ten miles into town regularly -- but probably needs a
new carburettor or at least a re-rebuild with a new diaphragm. Anyone
know where I can score one of these carbs in serviceable condition?

Three of the six spark plugs had "distance pieces" installed which I
understand were used back in the 60s to alleviate rich running on
individual cylinders. These I have removed and the new plugs have not
fouled so I have my fingers crossed. The small ends of these engines
have white metal (babbit) bearings which has me not looking forward to
the inevitable tear down.

Even though not running perfectly yet, she is great fun to drive and
the freewheel is an interesting feature. I love this car and we will go
the distance.

Have trafficators, will travel.

Stephen
http://beerinc.com/16.jpg