[ROVERNET - UK] V8 Thermal switch

S Manwell smanwell at sprintmail.com
Sun Jan 22 14:40:33 GMT 2006

This question is on behalf of a friend with a 3500-powered 1971 Morgan
Plus 8, but with all the non-lurking going on lately, why not?

His Morgan is a recent acquisition, and it has accumulated a lot of
plumbing and wiring changes under the hood.  I loaned him a pile of
V8-related manuals and we were trying to figure out what the thermal
switch on the intake manifold is for.  This switch is the triangular one
just ahead of the carburetors and attached with three screws.  It looks
as though cars with the AED had a blank plate in place of this switch,
so my thought so far is that this switch turns the choke (cold start)
light on once the manifold warms to a certain temperature.   Is there
more to it than that?

--Steve Manwell